There are a couple of different options to properly track retail items (section 1)* given as gifts on the customer's invoice. You can either leave the type as a Sale with an offsetting 100% discount (recommended) or change the type to Gift. By leaving the type as a Sale, the printed invoice will display the value of the item being given.
Option 1 (Known Recipient)
- Create an invoice adding the items being given away.
- Set the sale Type as either Gift or Sale with a 100% discount.
- Add any other items and payment if necessary to finish the invoice, then click .
* When adding section 2 items, the sale type will automatically default to Gift or Sample. Section 2 items are accounted for on the Inventory Purchases tax report.
Option 2 (Unknown Recipient)
If the intended recipient is unknown when your business is giving the product away for events such as a raffle or gift basket that has been created from multiple consultants, etc. it is handled differently.
- Create an invoice under your Business Supplies profile with the invoice Sale type as Business Supplies.
- Mark the invoice paid by selecting to the right of the Cash/Check field.
- Select the Discount tab and under the Discount Type section, ensure the discount type is set to Business Supplies.
- From the Expense Category drop-down options, select the appropriate tax category**.
- When finished, click .
** Main Street cannot give tax advice, only general suggestions and how to enter items into the Expense area in Boulevard. Please seek advice from your tax professional on how to handle individual expenses and income for your tax situation.