The purpose of entering a historical or past invoice is for tax purposes and to add the transaction to the contact's purchase history without deducting from your current on-hand inventory amounts. See Create a New Invoice for more information on standard invoices that automatically reduce your inventory.
- From the contact profile, click on theAccount & Invoices tab.
- In the upper right corner of the Invoices section, clickand select New Historical Invoice from the drop-down.
- Acknowledge and confirm that you want to create a historical invoice by clicking Yes.
- From the Process Invoice pop-up, choose from the following options: Remove product from inventory, Add sample followup to the calendar, Update customer last contact, and Change customer account balance. When finished, click OK.
Add Items, Apply discounts, & Additional options
- Clickto open the Product Lookup form.
- In the Search field, enter either a partial description or part number.
- Double click to add items to the invoice, or select thenext to the desired item(s), then click .
- When finished, clickto close the Product Lookup screen.
Applying Discounts & Redeeming Rewards
- Individual Item Discount:
After adding the item to the invoice, enter a discount percent in Discount% field on the row.
- Entire Invoice Discount:
At the bottom of the invoice click the Discount tab, and choose either Percent or Flat Amount. Only one type of discount can be added to an invoice (either percent or flat amount, but not both).
- Discount Type:
The default is Standard. To choose a different option, clickand choose from the options listed, or click to create a new type.
- Reward Redemption:
Clickto apply a discount using reward points. For more information about rewards, see Reward Program Overview.
Options include Sale (default type), Sample, Gift, Return to Company or Return to Inventory.
- Day Code:
Specific item code to track manufacturing information and expiration. If the sale type is set to Return to Company, the code will be displayed on the Replacement Product form.
- Product Is For:
This field allows the product to be purchased by one contact but put in another contact's product history.
Clickto add a personalized note. To set or change the standard default note that appears on all invoices, see Customizing Invoices.
Payment, Sales Tax & Saving the Invoice
Applying a Payment
- If the invoice is being paid in full, click the next to the appropriate payment type, otherwise enter the amount being applied.
- Additional information can be added to the Check Number and Memo fields.
Click to open the Sales Tax screen for the following calculation options.
Rate set in Preferences is used by default.
- Flat Amount:
A flat tax amount can be entered instead of calculating a percent.
If selected, the tax is calculated on the amount entered in the Shipping field
- Before Discount:
If selected, the tax is calculated before discounts are applied. Important Note: Before using this option, see Handling Sales Tax on Discounted Items.
Saving the Invoice
- If desired, choose to either Email or Print the invoice. Invoices can also be printed or emailed from the Invoice Log.
- Click to save and close the invoice.