You can create a special profile set specifically to invoice retail items taken from your inventory for personal use. When handling personal use in the method shown below, purchases will still appear on the Gross Receipts Report (Personal Sales) and will have the offsetting discount so that your net sales are correct, while showing no profit made on the items. You can choose to filter and omit personal use, or alternately filter and retrieve information for personal use only.
- From the contact list toolbar, click to create a contact profile with your name.
- From the contact profile toolbar, click to open the Profile Settings screen.
- In the Sales Settings slideout, under the Discount section, select Personal Use (or Own Use) from the options listed in the Default drop-down (this will set the Invoice Followup to 0 days, Email Invoice to No, and the Discount to 50%, which can be adjusted).
- Under the Options section, select Exclude from Dashboard (this will exclude your personal use sales from being included in your Dashboard statistics).
- Click to save and close Profile Settings.
- From the profile toolbar, click to save and close the profile.
When you need to take items from your inventory, create a new invoice each time under your personal use profile. The invoice Sale and Discount types will automatically default to Personal Use (or Own Use), and the discount Percent will be set to what you have specified under your personal use contact profile.
Note: We don't recommend creating just one invoice at the end of the year (or editing the same invoice) with all items used throughout the year. For more accurate recordkeeping for tax purposes, create a new invoice as you remove items from inventory for personal use.
If the steps above are used when invoicing products taken for personal use, those transactions can be filtered by date and printed or exported from the Invoice Log.
- From the sidebar navigation, clickBusiness Tools, then Invoice Log.
- From the toolbar, click then select Filter to open the Filter slideout from the right-hand side of the screen.
- Under the Date Range drop-down, select a pre-defined date range from the options listed or choose Custom to enter a custom range.
- Under the Invoice Type drop-down, select Personal Use from the options listed.
- To print the invoices shown as a report (in a tabular format), from the toolbar click then select Print.
- From the print preview form, click to print, or click to export and save as another file type such as PDF.
- When finished, click then select Clear Filter to remove any filters set.
- To add or remove columns, clickand select Column Chooser. Select Reset to return the view to the default layout.
- Only one invoice can be printed at a time. To print an invoice, select the checkbox next to the invoice. Click , then select Print. From the print preview form, click to print, or click to export and save as another file type such as PDF.
We recommend that you check with your local taxing authority to ensure your business is handling each tax situation appropriately for your business.