You can create a special profile set specifically to invoice retail items taken from your inventory for personal use. When handling personal use in the method shown below, purchases will still appear on the Gross Receipts report and will have the offsetting discount so that your net sales are correct, while showing no profit made on the items. You can choose to filter and omit personal use, or alternately to filter and retrieve information for personal use only. We also recommend that you check with your local taxing authority to ensure your business is handling each tax situation appropriately for your business.
Create a Personal Use Profile
- Create a New Contact Profile with your name.
- From the contact toolbar, click to open the Profile Settings screen.
- Under the Sales Settings section, from the Discount Type drop-down click and select Personal Use from the options listed (this will set the Invoice Followup to 0 days, Email Invoice to No, and the Discount to 50% which can be adjusted.)
- Under the Options section, select Exclude from Dashboard (this will exclude your personal use sales from being included in your Dashboard statistics).
- Click to save and close Profile Settings.
- From the profile toolbar, click to save and close the profile.
Removing Items from Inventory
When you need to take items from your inventory, create a new invoice under the personal use profile created. By default, the invoice Sale and Discount Type will automatically be set as Personal Use or Own Use (depending on your country) with a 50.00% discount (the discount amount can be changed).
By handling personal use in this way, purchases will be totaled together on the Gross Receipts report and will have the offsetting discount so that your net sales are correct while showing no profit made on these items.
View Personal Use from the Invoice Log
By invoicing your personal use situations using the steps above, all of the transactions will be grouped together, and easily accessible under the Invoice Log.
- From the sidebar navigation, clickBusiness Tools, then Invoice Log.
- From the Invoice Log toolbar, click then select Filter to open the Filter slideout from the right-hand side of the screen.
- Under the Date Range drop-down, select a pre-defined date range from the options listed or choose Custom to enter a custom range.
- Under the Invoice Type drop-down, select Personal Use from the options listed.
- To print the invoices shown as a report (in a tabular format), from the toolbar click then select Print.
- From the print preview form, click to print, or click to export and save as another file type such as PDF.
- When finished, click then select Clear Filter to remove any filters set.
- To add or remove columns, clickand select Column Chooser. Select Reset to return the view to the default layout.
- Only one invoice can be printed at a time. To print an invoice, select the checkbox next to the invoice. Click , then select Print. From the print preview form, click to print, or click to export and save as another file type such as PDF.